Medicine by Design’s governance model provides oversight by the University of Toronto and its affiliated hospitals. It also promotes interaction with other leading centres in regenerative medicine, facilitates peer review and maintains a transparent process for mobilizing resources rapidly, efficiently and effectively.
Medicine by Design is governed by an Executive Committee made up of senior academic and research leaders from U of T and affiliated hospitals. It meets twice a year and is responsible for providing strategic direction to the executive director and Medicine by Design team, financial oversight of the initiative and institutional approval of award funding decisions. Members of the Executive Committee including U of T’s vice-president, research & innovation, the deans of partner faculties and the vice-presidents of research of partner hospitals.
Scientific Advisory Board
A Scientific Advisory Board, composed of international leaders in regenerative medicine and cell therapy, provides advice and input on the scientific and translational programs of Medicine by Design. Members also assist in identifying new national and international partners and technologies that will add intellectual, commercial, clinical and financial value to the initiative, and provide advice and guidance to the Executive Director and Medicine by Design team on project funding strategy and faculty recruitment. Members of the Scientific Advisory Board may also act as advisors to project teams as well as guest speakers at the annual Medicine by Design symposium.
Members of the Scientific Advisory Board are:
- Sangeeta Bhatia, Professor, Institute for Medical Engineering and Science and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- James Collins, Professor, Institute for Medical Engineering and Science and Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Markus Grompe, Professor, Pediatrics, Oregon Health & Science University
- Darrell Irvine, Professor, Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Lee Rubin, Professor, Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology, Harvard University
- Michael Rudnicki, Senior Scientist and Director, Regenerative Medicine, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
- Hans-Willem Snoeck, Professor, Medicine and Microbiology & Immunology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic, Professor, Biomedical Engineering and Medicine, Columbia University