Program information session and networking
Oct. 3, 3:30pm – 5:00pm
ONRamp, 100 College St. Suite 150.
The information session will provide guidance on successfully applying to the program while getting an overview of the business canvas, which will be a key component of the application. In addition, you will be able to hear from previous years’ pitch finalists as well as network with other interested trainees and/or form a team.
Application to the programDownload the application form
Application deadline: October 17, 2023 by 11:59pm.
Email completed application form to Sonam Dubey (email@example.com), Scientific Manager, Medicine by Design.
The Building a Biotech Venture Program occurs in two phases:
- Venture Development – 10 teams will develop their ventures with guidance and training through mentorship and workshop programming.
- Pitch Competition – Teams will receive pitch coaching, and compete in a pitch competition to a panel of industry experts. Teams accepted into the Venture Development phase of the program are eligible to participate in the Pitch Competition phase but will need to submit a separate application once it opens in early February.
November 2023 – February 2024
The 10 teams accepted into this program will develop their venture concepts, create a pitch deck and business canvas, and set milestones for building their company. All teams admitted into the program will be matched with a mentor, who will provide ongoing guidance over the course of the program. Teams will also receive additional dedicated mentorship opportunities from H2i Director, Paul Santerre.
The program will include the following workshops run by industry experts to help teams in scaling their ventures and prepare them for the pitch competition:
- Workshop 1: Developing a Business Canvas (November 23, 2-4:30pm)
- Workshop 2: Intellectual Property (January 11, 3-5:00pm)
- Workshop 3: Preclinical Experimental De-risking (January 18, 3-4:30pm)
- Workshop 4: Clinical Translation and Regulatory Affairs (January 25, 3-4:30pm)
- Workshop 5: Early-Stage Investment (February 1, 3-4:30pm)
- Workshop 6: Pitching and Presentation Skills (February 8, 3-4:30pm)
March 21, 2024
Six teams will be selected to pitch their venture concepts to a panel of industry experts. The first-place team will receive $25,000 and the second-place team will receive $10,000 in research funding to advance their product concepts. The research funding must be spent in a lab at U of T or its affiliated hospitals, with funding held by team member’s principal investigator.
Ahead of the pitch, venture finalists will have access to group coaching and one-on-one pitch coaching through Talk Boutique to refine their presentations.
Teams accepted into the Venture Development phase of the program are eligible to participate in the Pitch Competition phase but will need to submit a separate application once it opens in early February.
If you have any immediate questions regarding this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.