Medicine by Design and its partners offer occasional learning opportunities that may be of interest to investigators and trainees.
Communicating to Engage: Science Through Stories Workshop
The application deadline for this workshop has passed. We will announce more 2018 dates soon.
Making your research accessible to a broad audience — be it school-age children, financial investors, policy makers, the media or another researcher working in a different discipline — is a critical skill for any researcher. Communicating effectively enables you to inform and inspire others and ultimately advances your work.
Medicine by Design’s mandate is to undertake transformational research in regenerative medicine and translate discoveries to create new products and treatments. Sharing this research and its potential value is a key part of this process.
We have partnered with Talk Boutique to offer selected graduate students and post-doctoral fellows working on Medicine by Design-funded projects a multi-day workshop focused on creating accessible and engaging scientific talks for a general audience.
The workshop will include:
- two half-day sessions roughly a month apart focused on developing your story and polishing your performance;
- small groups up to a maximum of 15 participants;
- two one-on-one 60-minute coaching check-ins via phone/Skype between workshops;
- opportunities throughout the year to present your talk to a general audience; and
- a safe, friendly environment facilitated by experienced communication professionals.
We anticipate offering three to four workshops annually to accommodate a range of schedules. Sessions will be offered on the University of Toronto campus or at a nearby venue, and registration fees will be covered by Medicine by Design.